I didn't mean to fall asleep

You were only two days old
I was alone with you 
Exhausted from giving you life
no sleep in sight
I love you 
you won't stop crying and sleep
You only sleep when you eat
I am trying to stay awake 
I didn't mean to fall asleep 
I'm sorry, so sorry 
I fell asleep 
you were in my arms 
so peaceful, eating 
you fell asleep so beautifully on my chest 
I watched as you took breath after breath
I was so tired
I kept trying to push through the exhaustion 
it was two in the morning
You are okay now
but
I fell asleep
I woke up to screams
you were on the floor
I'm sorry I fell asleep
you are growing wonderfully
but I constantly think of that day
you had two fractures in your skull
and a brain bleed
you are so smart at almost 6 months old
I couldn't be happier
but
it still weighs heavy on my mind
I don't know what the future holds for you
what if something is wrong?
I can't help but to overthink
I love you more than life itself
and the air I breathe
but
I feel like a bad mommy
I know I'm not
but my brain tells me otherwise
I love you A
but I'm sorry I fell asleep

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Late night thoughts..